Postscript to Text converter

gtoal at tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk gtoal at tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk
Mon May 27 08:16:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991May26.181915.14910 at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> mathew at jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Mathew Yeates) writes:
>In article <1991May26.063129.26177 at netcom.COM> nagar at netcom.COM ( Nagar) writes:
>>I am looking for a postscript to
>>text converter, is there such a
>>program available through
>>ftp from simtel20 or some other
>>site?
>>
>>I would appreciate a e_mail..
>>
>>thanks
>
>I too am interested, and dubious that such a thing exists.

This is going to sound silly, but the best way of getting what you
want is to print out your postscript and scan it back in!

If you haven't got a scanner, get a copy of Ghostscript and output
to some bitmap form which can be read in by one of the PD OCR packages --
cut out the middle man :-)

If you're a real hacker, get the Ghostscript sources and hack them
to output any text to a data structure instead of the bitmap, and
do an x-y sort on your data structure.  Modulo superscripts and
subscripts, you might have a chance of reconstructing lines.

Graham
PS Don't mail me asking where to find ghostscript or ocr software -
I don't know...