Looking for decent SysV shell.

sdougiama at cc.curtin.edu.au sdougiama at cc.curtin.edu.au
Fri May 17 02:20:59 AEST 1991

In an article a week ago in alt.sources, I wrote :

>I have been looking on and off for a couple of years now for a decent
>shell for System V (3.2). .....
>So if anyone there can point me to some decent sources or information, I'd
>really appreciate it.  I'm using Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2 if it matters.

Sorry I couldn't reply to the mail I was sent, our mailer here doesn't seem
to work correctly.  Thanks, though, for all the help I recieved.
Here is a summary of responses:

Seven messages told me off for submitting non-source to alt.sources.  Sorry
about this, but I was just following up similar messages just before mine.
Never again.  :-)

About 12 people suggested I try bash, available from prep.ai.mit.edu.
This is the course I have finally taken, and with a little fiddling, I
seem to have got it compiling nicely under Interactive just this afternoon.
Excellent stuff!

About 6 responses pointed out the existence of compiled tcsh binaries
at tesla.ee.cornell.edu.  Unfortunately none of the ones for Interactive 386/ix
worked on my system.  I suspect they were compiled for slightly different
versions and/or systems with job control (which I ain't got  :-(  )
Several people also kindly offered to send binaries.  Thanks, guys.

Several people recommended ksh.  8-)  Even if I had it I wouldn't use it
over csh.

One guy recommended ssh (Simon's Shell) which sounded nifty, but bash seems
to suit my needs.

And someone wanted to know what PSImail was in my (former) signature.
As far as I can tell, it's some VMS network thang... Nobody actually uses it,
though, hence its deletion from my (originally auto-generated) signature.

I'd have credited these people properly but I haven't got the hang of these
dang VMS editors yet...   :-)
--
| "There's nothing quite | Martin Dougiamas.   Perth, Western Australia       |