chmod args (was Re: Need a "watching" program)

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Sat Jun 3 05:16:25 AEST 1989

In article <8605 at chinet.chi.il.us> ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) writes:
>Actually, they still have two different and useful functions.  The mnemonic
>method is a mask, while using the octal is a total reset.

Mnemonics may be used for total reset as well.

>On the other hand, if I'm installing a program and have definite ideas
>about the permissions I want to set, then the octal form is cleaner:
>
>Desired Permission	Octal arg.	Mnemonic arg.
>2710			2710		u+rwx,g+xs,g-rw,o-rwx

Proper mnemonic arg.: u=rwx,g=xs,o=

>At this point, the octal mask is cleaner, since you still have to do the mental
>dance to interpret the now rather long mnemonic string.

No, you don't.

--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             voicemail: +1 408 991-7802