An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)

Wolf Paul wnp at killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Fri Jun 23 21:25:36 AEST 1989

In article <4680 at ficc.uu.net> jeffd at ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
>Without quarreling with Peter's suggestion, I would offer an alternative
>suggestion: that the hobbyists in *every* country where there's
>a State phone monopoly work to get that monopoly eliminated.
>Where the government (such as in these overly-united States)
>grants a private company such a monopoly, the need is to
>repeal that franchise.

The telecommunications monopolies in Europe are not private companies,
but state-owned and state-run.

And it would probably be hard to find a majority for abolishing these
monopolies -- there's too many things tied up with them that "have always
been done this way", and modem users are very much in the minority.

And where in these United States does the gov't grant private companies
a telecomm monopoly? That wasn't even the case before divestiture, MCI, GTE
and others have been around since before then.
UUCP:   {texbell, killer, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs at texbell.swbt.com