unido making commercial use of the net

David Wright dww at stl.stc.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 07:58:25 AEST 1989

In article <5523 at pixar.UUCP> bp at pixar.UUCP (Bruce Perens) writes:
#If unido is making such blatant commercial use of the usenet, why is
#anyone giving them a newsfeed?

Right on, close down all those disgusting commercial sites that charge for
news access.  Starting with uunet - that would REALLY show unido where they
stand, that's where they get their feed from (via mcvax).   Over commercial
lines too - mcvax even have a high speed leased line to uunet to keep the
costs down.

Usenet should be restricted to sites that don't cost anything, don't charge,
and use free home-built communications channels.   Amateur radio enthusiasts
set up comms across the Atlantic long before those evil capitalist telecoms
companies put in the first transatlantic telephone cable.   *They* didn't
charge, why should anyone else.

#  If North American backbone sites adhered
#to a policy to shut such sites down, removing the financial advangage,
#it would become easier for Europeans to get the laws passed to allow a
#U.S.-style usenet.

Yes, that would Really Worry the Bundespost and AT&T and all the other nasty
PTT's.  They get 0.00000001% of their revenue from the Eunet.
Or, to quote from the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy,  "How much damage would
you do to this bulldozer if I let it run right over you?"   "I don't know."
"None at all."

[Just in case any really dumb readers are out there - this is :-) :-) :-) :-) ]

Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww at stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
"Do not speak of what men deserve.  For we each of us deserve everything,
 every luxury that was ever piled in the tombs of the dead Kings, and we each
 of us deserve nothing, not a mouthfull of bread in hunger.   Have we not eaten
 while another starved?  Will you punish us for that?  Will you reward us for
 the virtue of starving while others ate?  No man earns punishment, no man
 earns reward.  Free your mind of the idea of *deserving*, of *earning*, and
 you will begin to be able to think."
                           Odo, The Prison Letters (U.LeGuin, The Dispossessed)