Path Program

Mark Keating markk at censor.UUCP
Tue Jun 20 02:58:48 AEST 1989

I've received several cards 'n letters from some of the folks
out there in netland, about my recent path posting, and no I
don't know how it differs, if at all to the BSC which program,
any clarification here would be appreciated, although I don't
think it's a SYSV thing, I know we don't have it (which) here.

I also recieved a script, and one was posted as well to do the
same thing with the exception that path entries located are
not conditionally passed through `ls', which I find very useful

 ie:		`path path -l path -x path'
 will produce

	/usr/bin/path
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 root   root    11896 Jun  17 1989 /usr/bin/path
	/usr/bin/path

all the options are passed through 'ls' so more extravagent combinations
could be produced, most useful is 'path -l name', but you probably get
the idea. And yes I know that "ls -l `path path`" would work as well,
just not as convienently or allow changing options along the line.

The thing I liked about the one script was to specify the path, BUT since
everything that is an option, is blindly passed to ls for simplicity,
anybody have a good suggestion on the best way to handle this ??

  Hope I haven't started wars here, or put us on a which path.

				Appreciate the Response.

				Mark Keating  -  markk at censor