chmod args (was Re: Need a "watching" program)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Jun 3 10:22:33 AEST 1989

>On the other hand, if I'm installing a program and have definite ideas
>about the permissions I want to set, then the octal form is cleaner:
>
>Desired Permission	Octal arg.	Mnemonic arg.
>2710			2710		u+rwx,g+xs,g-rw,o-rwx

Oh, good grief.  Try "u=rwx,g=xs,o=" instead.  Yes, Virginia, there
really *is* an "=" operator in the syntax for the mode argument to
"chmod" - and yes, on those *very* rare occasions when I do a "chmod" to
set the modes to some particular value rather than changing the modes, I
use it.  You see, I think of the desired permission as "rwx--s---", not
2710....