Help me - please!

Phil Vitale vitale at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Fri Jun 16 10:29:29 AEST 1989

> But I also got some flames (via mail) and I
> want to apologize for my stupidity to post my shout for help in this
> newsgroup.

Frank, you are not stupid; you just did not know the informal rules.

The flamers are the ones who are stupid.  If they flame instead of
simply making you aware of the "local" customs, it only means that they
have a really low self image of themselves.  The net is an outlet for
them to assert themselves; like they feel equal to the rest of the
human race or something.

The net is a great and powerful tool.  Don't let the scumbags discourage
you from using it.  *Everyone* makes mistakes.

Oh yeah.  Below is a shell source replacement for "true".   Should work
for sh, csh, and ksh.  (If there is enough interest, "false" can be
posted next week.)

Phil Vitale
vitale%hpda at hplabs.HP.COM

#############################################################################
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line,
# then unpack it by saving it in a file and typing "sh file".
#
# This archive contains:
#	true
#
# Error checking via wc(1) will be performed.
# Error checking via sum(1) will be performed.

LANG=""; export LANG

echo x - true
cat >true <<'@EOF'
exit 0
@EOF
set -- `sum <true`; if test $1 -ne 532
then
	echo ERROR: true checksum is $1 should be 532
fi
if test "`wc -lwc <true`" != '      1      2      7'
then
	echo ERROR: wc results of true are `wc -lwc <true` should be       1      2      7
fi

chmod 644 true

exit 0