An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Jun 22 22:09:58 AEST 1989

In article <16720 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> My phone bill runs $60 to $100 per month.

Your phone bill covers a whole lot more than regular Usenet access. You're
a long-distance-link-junkie. Admit it.

Altruism or ego-boosting, it's not an expense that most Usenet sites require.
There are lots and lots of people who just get a local feed and feed local
sites... and probably end up spending $30 a month for all the groups they
care to get.

> However, if you wanna play with the big boys and get lotsa neat junk
> in the mail and have lotsa real nice toys, YOU GOTTA PAY THE PIPER.

Not everyone on the net is a 'big boy'. It's just that in Europe, the little
boys pay big-boy rates.

Perhaps the hobbyists in Germany need to form an alliance independant of
the backbone. From what I understand, they're doing that in Italy.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.