An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Thu Jun 22 11:43:59 AEST 1989

In article <1433 at laura.UUCP> br at laura.UUCP (Bodo Rueskamp) writes:
>The German backbone "unido" charges $40..$200 per month. Each German host has
>this to pay, also if the host isn't directly connected to unido. unido has
>a news link to the european backbone in Amsterdam and a mail link to uunet.

My phone bill runs $60 to $100 per month.  I don't see what is so awful
expecting someone to spend $40 to $200 a month for USENET.  My last
months total charges for all of the lines, installation, long distance,
etc. was $298.  The phones I had disconnected cost another $130.  The
grand total is $428.  So I damned well understand having to pay out the
ass for telephone charges.

However, if you wanna play with the big boys and get lotsa neat junk
in the mail and have lotsa real nice toys, YOU GOTTA PAY THE PIPER.

>Local phone calls cost $0.01 per minute, a short distance call (20..50 km)
>cost $0.06 per minute, and a long distance call (over 50 km) cost $0.18 per
>minute (from 6pm to 8am).

Big deal, so what.  AT&T hasn't started handing out free toll calls
just yet.  But when they do, I'll be the first person standing in line
to get me one.

Until then, QUIT POSTING STUFF THAT SHOULD BE MAILED.  If it costs too
much money, arrange for a snail-mail newsfeed.  Its not like soc.sinners
is super critical information you must have last week or you are going
to die.  You could probably pick up a full newsfeed from a North American
site for well under $50 a month.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Button of the Week Club:-------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | "AIX is a three letter word,