An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)

Bodo Rueskamp br at laura.UUCP
Wed Jun 21 20:46:03 AEST 1989

In article <786 at redsox.bsw.com> campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
>I really don't understand this.  Who do you have to pay the $200 to?
>In the US, you just find a local Usenet site with a friendly system
>administrator and set up a uucp link.  If it's a local call, it's free.

The German backbone "unido" charges $40..$200 per month. Each German host has
this to pay, also if the host isn't directly connected to unido. unido has
a news link to the european backbone in Amsterdam and a mail link to uunet.

Local phone calls cost $0.01 per minute, a short distance call (20..50 km)
cost $0.06 per minute, and a long distance call (over 50 km) cost $0.18 per
minute (from 6pm to 8am).

--
Bodo Rueskamp, <br at laura.uucp>