Need a "watching" program

Vallury Prabhakar rustcat at csli.Stanford.EDU
Fri May 12 05:39:08 AEST 1989

In article <11680 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

% An easy solution is to "cd; chmod 700 .". That will insure that no one can
% go into your home directory.

A lot of people have been taking potshots at me for having asked the original
question, so let me clarify.

I know how to protect my files from being `rwx' by others.  That is not the
purpose I had in mind. I was just curious to find out if such a monitoring
program is possible on Unix machines.  There can be non-paranoid uses for
this, such as keeping statistics on the usage of a particular program in
my home directory by others, for example.

I gather that it's not possible to do this, short of overhauling the
kernel.  Thank you.  We now return you to your scheduled programming.

						-- Vallury Prabhakar