elvis on a PC - Quick-C

Michiel Bruschke bruschke at vax1.acs.udel.EDU
Thu Aug 30 06:46:38 AEST 1990

In article 2160 of alt.sources Marvin Kraska writes:

>    However, I have noticed that on the PC, lost clusters are reported
>by "chkdsk" on the drive that the temporary file is placed.  Sure
>enough, the recovered file is elvis's temp.  I glanced at the tmp.c
>code, and didn't see anything obvious.

I noticed exactly the same thing on my system. I compiled elvis
using Quick-C. Elvis copies the tmp file to the new file, but
then somehow improperly deletes the tmp files. It seems to do
this with all tmp files it opens, cut buffers as well as regular
tmp file. Will take a closer look at source to see if I can figure
it out (probably over weekend).

So if you use elvis be sure to run chkdsk /f afterwards.

Mike Bruschke