GENERAL WARNING

Paul Shields shields at yunexus.YorkU.CA
Sun Sep 30 09:50:36 AEST 1990

scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>I wouldn't either, but to a great degree I'm depending on the collective
>benefit of the net.  Were there a trapdoor buried in elm or some other
>commonly used code from the net, there's a good chance that *somebody*
>will notice it fast.  And woe to the person who got caught doing it!

So how long did it take the net to discover that GNU Emacs installed
itself as world writable?

Yes, it seems it did this "out-of-the-box" back in 1988 when a
colleague of mine stumbled across it.  The biggest security hole
he had ever seen, he said.

P.