Small introspective program

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Mon Mar 18 11:18:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar17.190756.29382 at midway.uchicago.edu> goer at quads.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) writes:
>>Isn't there a BASIC that uses "!" as a REM.
>>Thus the "shortest" basic program would be "1!"; this is 1/3 to 1/2 as short
>>as your suggested "1 L." (I would have ommited the space before submitting).
>>I believe it is an old Tandy basic that does this and it did not expand the "!"
>>to rem but left it as is; it did add a space though .....
>
>I don't see any source code here.  Please note the followup-to line
>above.  Please, please, please - !

His source, though incorrect, is:
1!

Therefore I have changed the follow-up back to alt.sources.

Meanwhile, the reason his source is incorrect is that when you RUN it,
it does not output a copy of itself.

I still prefer the correct program which is even two characters shorter
than that.  (The source code is here, though it is difficult to see.)
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com