Small introspective program

Dalton Clark rdc at nebulus.ampr.org
Sun Mar 17 13:30:05 AEST 1991

magnus%thep.lu.se at Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) writes:

>In article <1991Mar13.151756.2885 at en.ecn.purdue.edu> steele at en.ecn.purdue.edu@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar13.032422.9438 at cavebbs.gen.nz> clear at cavebbs.gen.nz (Charlie Lear) writes:
>>>Sorry, your entry is disqualified through being too large. REAL BASICs used
>>>to be able to tokenise, and the winner is:
>>>	1 L.
>>>which when run would produce
>>> 	1 L.

>>You sure?  If the BASIC is tokenized, then L. will be expanded to LIST
>>in the source code listing, so that you'd get
>>	1 LIST
>>when run.  I have to admit, my only experience with tokenized basics is

Isn't there a BASIC that uses "!" as a REM.

Thus the "shortest" basic program would be "1!"; this is 1/3 to 1/2 as short as
your suggested "1 L." (I would have ommited the space before submitting).

I believe it is an old Tandy basic that does this and it did not expand the "!"
to rem but left it as is; it did add a space though .....