Vi/Ex: command line editor? - Yes!

Yuval Fisher fisher at inls1.ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 11 12:35:23 AEST 1991

I find that ex Version SVR3.1 (released with sunOS 4.1.1, I am guessing)
and ex Version 3.7, 6/7/85. (released with previous sun systems)
behave differently with the "-" option. The latter does what I would
reasonably expect from the man pages explanation, but the first
causes the terminal output to be somewhat non-sensical.
 This causes a bit of a problem with the redo script recently
posted to edit the last command. It works beautifully with
Version 3.7; not at all with Version SVR3.1 if the "-" option
is included; and so-so with Version SVR3.1 if the "-" option is
removed.
 Does some vi/ex guru know what I am talking about and why it is so
and if there is a fix ?

 Buckets of thanks, Y. Fisher