indentation

utzoo!decvax!harpo!seismo!rocheste!bukys utzoo!decvax!harpo!seismo!rocheste!bukys
Sat Oct 23 18:30:11 AEST 1982

Sigh.  Another one of those never-ending battles.  I would have kept
my opinion to myself, except that there appears to be only one other
defender of the one true indentation style out there.

	if (condition)
		{
		statements...
		}

My reasons, in brief:
	- symmetry
	- syntactically intuitive
	- incorrect usage easy to spot
	- correct usage easy to ignore
	- minimum of clutter

What I mean by the last point is this:  it is easier to read

	if ...
		{
		subordinates
		}
	while ...
		etc.

than

	if ... {
		subordinates
	}
	while ...
		etc.

because these low-content '}' lexemes are hogging the visual space,
distracting me from those high-content 'if' and 'while' lexemes.

I believe Whitesmith's, Inc. uses this as part of its corporate standard.

Liudvikas Bukys
rochester!bukys