C strings suck!

utzoo!decvax!ittvax!swatt utzoo!decvax!ittvax!swatt
Fri May 13 09:38:56 AEST 1983

This is an oft-heard complaint about C.  If you really require dynamic
strings supported directly in the language, pick another language.
Otherwise make the best of it you can with an appropriate library
package.  I just perused my old USENET net.sources archive and came
up with: