C and ANSI Standard

mike at RICE.ARPA mike at RICE.ARPA
Mon Aug 20 02:34:14 AEST 1984

From:  Mike Caplinger <mike at RICE.ARPA>

I want flexnames (arbitrary-length identifiers) everywhere you can use
an identifier in C, particularly external names.  I would settle for
some large length, like 80.  I WON'T settle for 6 or 8, and I don't
care how many linkers will have to be rewritten to accomodate it.

If this isn't done, then the standard will be a joke, and no piece of
VAX 4.2 or Sun code will ever run anywhere else.

Also, if anybody is contemplating making structure member names be
unique (that is,

struct foo {
    int a;
};

struct bar {
    int a;
};

being illegal) please stop them from doing so.  Please don't let the
ANSI standard be a mediocre version of V7 Unix C!