Precedence Question - (nf)

pedz at smu.UUCP pedz at smu.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 14:08:33 AEST 1984

#N:smu:13800001:000:747
smu!pedz    Feb  9 00:17:00 1984

I have a small question for you C people.  We were writting a
compiler for C and came accross this interesting problem.  Is the
statement:
	cat = foo ? fu = bar : mouse;

legal?  Specifically the assignment operator (which has lower
precedence than the ?: thing) between the ? and the :.  If it
is legal, at what point does bar get assigned to fu, before or
after the assignment to cat?  If after (since it has lower
precedence) then I would assume cat is assign the value of fu, after
which fu is assigned the value of bar.  Right or wrong.  Note, the
VAX C compiler accepts it and its actions can easily be determined.
That is not the question.  The question is "according to K & R ...".

Respond vai mail and I will post.
Perry
parsec!smu!pedz