8bit 6809 ints

mark at umcp-cs.UUCP mark at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Jun 19 11:56:34 AEST 1984

The Vandata C cross-compiler we use for our z-80 work has compile
time options one sets to get the following behaviors:
1. normal, promote arithmetic on chars to 16 bits before performing.
2. faster, don't promote arithmetic on chars to 16, leave it at
   8-bits except for subroutine arguements.
3. fastest but dangerous, don't even promote chars in arguments.

This allows you to write code using chars where you know the values
fit in 8 bits, and the compiler will generate fast 8-bit op-codes
if you ask it to.
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark at maryland
CSNet:	mark at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark