side effects inside sizeof

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Jun 20 08:42:29 AEST 1984

I fully agree that my side-effects-of-sizeof program was an abomination,
and I wasn't "grumbling" about the second printf producing a "1" so much
as I was grumbling about the fact that the manual doesn't actually permit
this (eminently sensible) behavior.  The compilers are *not* broken, the
manual is.

I'm told that the draft ANSI C standard now includes specific words to
the effect that sizeof is fully compile-time and side effects don't
occur.  Good.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology