Precedence Question - (nf)

mcewan mcewan at uiucdcs.UUCP
Fri Mar 16 13:26:43 AEST 1984

#R:smu:13800001:uiucdcs:27600031:000:2138
uiucdcs!mcewan    Mar 15 16:33:00 1984

/**** uiucdcs:net.lang.c / smu!pedz /  9:58 pm  Feb 21, 1984 ****/
You people must take me for a complete fool.  The responses I have
received are mostly stupid and unqualified.  The reponses 1 and 2
listed above are a good example of people talking about subjects which
they know nothing about.  The response 3 above is more reasonable
however he seems to have forgotten the original question.  The fact
that the assign between the ? and the : is the one in question, not
the first (left hand) assignement which is not even part of the real
question.

I realize that an assignment results in a value.  If I was this
dumb do you think I would have posed the problem in the first place?
The fact that precedence of the assignement operator is lower than the
precedence of the ?: operator results in the original expressing being
incorrect (illegal).  The fellow in a note futher down in this file
agrees with me.  The reason I now say that the expression is illegal
is because of all of the weak arguments I have heard to the contrary.
Arguements such as, "the colon is not an operator",  "precedence is
needed only for ambiquities", "precedence has nothing to do with the
order of evaluation", "precedence has nothing to do with legal
syntax", etc.

It is obvious to me that my respondants are far less knowledgable than
I about the subject.

I hope you appreciate me taking the time to tell all of you people
this little story about compilers and the world of parsers.  I has
been a real drag for me.

Perry
parsec!smu!pedz
/* ---------- */

Sorry about wasting your time, Perry. Its hard for us to tell just
how stupid a person is from one little note (you're very good at it,
though. You can tell someone is a drooling idiot just by noting that
he disagrees with you.)  I don't really think that you're a complete
fool. I just think that you're a flaming asshole. I hope that you
can find another net somewhere that is filled with people who are
as super-brilliant as you are.

			The opinions expressed are my own and not
			necessarily those of any sane person.

			Scott McEwan
			pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcewan

	"Hitler was an idealist.""