Comments on book review

gmf at uvacs.UUCP gmf at uvacs.UUCP
Wed May 16 03:09:33 AEST 1984

Comment on analogy between house-building & programming:

I remember my sheet-metal-worker uncle speaking of the science of
"trimology", concerned with good changes during construction, arising
from necessary departures from specifications.  This always concerned
his own changes.  I also remember him shaking his head ruefully at
bad changes by others, and muttering "What an abortion!"  One of
his favorite bits of humor was an imitation of a carpenter rushing
from one place to another on a building site, holding one arm up high,
and the other out from his side.  "Out of my way," the carpenter says,
"I've got a measurement for a door!"

     Gordon Fisher