Diatribe on uninitialized externs

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Nov 6 10:11:09 AEST 1984

> ... Once having chosen one of these paths, there will be no backing
> out, which is why I am loathe to choose either of them in the first standard.

I hate to mention this, Kevin, but the first standard was the first
edition of DMR's C Reference Manual.  The ANSI standardization process is
different only in degree.  There is some cause for debate about which
of the two paths should be chosen, but the decision to choose one
of the two was made perhaps a decade ago.  Like C's revolting switch
syntax, it's far too late to reconsider this now.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology