C language hacking

John Woods john at x.UUCP
Sat Nov 17 02:08:41 AEST 1984

>Regarding the suggestion of being able to get SIN and COS or (DIV and REM) at
>the same time - all you need is a good compiler!
>
>     By the way, I'm unaware of the existance of any "good" C compilers.
>     [ A "good C compiler"  is definitely an oxymoron!]

When I worked at Lincoln Labs, the performance of the UNIX (4.1) f77 was
compared against the VMS FORTRAN, in (I believe) an application for digital
signal processing.  VMS FORTRAN came out (as I recall) as twice as fast as
the f77 compiler (resulting code, not speed of compilation).

A 4.1BSD C version of the same program was 10% faster than the VMS FORTRAN.

The result is left to the reader as an exercise. :-)
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1114
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

If your puppy goes off in the next room,
is it because of the explosive charge?		[y][n]