C needs BCD (ANSI People: Please Listen)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Nov 4 13:58:35 AEST 1984

> Apparently: Stroustrup told the committee about the stuff he was doing,
> and they (surprise, surprise) totally ignored it !!!

I think this is being a bit unfair to the committee.  My understanding
is that they spent some effort coming to the conclusion that C++ is not
C, and that their mission in life is to standardize C, not C++.  This
is not a cop-out, it's a decision to limit objectives to keep the project
manageable and the result recognizeable.

C++ is an interesting language, it's had significant success on large
projects within AT&T, and with any luck it might even get released so
the rest of us can use it.  But it's not C.  The incompatibilities are
quite minor, but there are enough additions to make it a distinctively
different language.

This issue got discussed on the net a little while ago.  Shortly after
I made some comments along the same lines, I got a letter from Stroustrup

--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology