Standardization questions --

Lee McLoughlin lee at kcl-cs.UUCP
Fri Nov 16 05:56:14 AEST 1984

In article <271 at ukma.UUCP> david at ukma.UUCP (David Herron) writes:
>> A solution to this problem is suggested by the comment style of Ada, which
>> is that portions of lines beginning with '--' are ignored.  Since
>> this would be rather unacceptable in C, and we want the preprocessor to
>> handle it, the rule that leaps to mind is:
>>
>>     Lines or portions of lines beginning with '##' are ignored, except
>>     within single or double quotes, or within the /* other kind of */ comment.
>>     This rule applies even if the remainder of the line contains '/*'.
>>

>The comment style is the only thing out of Ada I like.  I would
>go for that kind of comment style in C too.  The /* other kind of */
>comment is d*mn inconvenient sometimes too.

I too would like to see a comment style similiar to ada's '--' however a brief
warning I've seen at least one preprocessor for C (I think it was the Equel
preprocessor in the Ingres system) which used '##'.  But then again just
about anything chosen runs the risk of clashing with an existing pre-processor.
--
UKUUCP SUPPORT  Lee McLoughlin	<UK>!ukc!lmcl
		kcl-cs!lee