if (legitimate(+a)) legitimate(a^^b);

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Nov 24 08:55:03 AEST 1984

> It seems to me that the proposal to legitimize
> 	a ^^ b
> is of the same ilk as the proposal to legitimize unary '+'.
> Both are, strictly speaking, "unnecessary;"
> both serve to "fill out" the family of operators supported by C,

As I understand it, one of the major things that moved the committee to
include unary plus was the observation that "+3.14159" is legal when
read from a string by atof, and when read from input by scanf, but not
when placed in C source.  No such inconsistency motivates "^^".
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology