if (legitimate(+a)) legitimate(a^^b);

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 01:44:48 AEST 1984

It seems to me that the proposal to legitimize
	a ^^ b
is of the same ilk as the proposal to legitimize unary '+'.
Both are, strictly speaking, "unnecessary;"
both serve to "fill out" the family of operators supported by C,
which may make a programmer's job easier--
there being fewer "exceptions" to remember.

If I had my wish, the standards committee would accept both proposals or accept
neither proposal.  ("!(a^^b)", if you will.  :-))

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who favors unary '+' and opposes "^^".
--
	..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado			(301) 496-5688
	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks