6 char externs and the ANSI standard

Joe Mueller joemu at tekecs.UUCP
Wed Nov 21 13:43:54 AEST 1984

>>(the suggestion about a post compiling step that remaps names
>> falls on its face on any reasonable sized program (200-400
>> routines spread over as many source files.)
>
>Why?  Don't think of it as a post-compiling step, think of it as a
>pre-linking step.  Big difference in binding times.

<<	Ever try to debug a program that has had its symbols remapped?
<<	The defense rests..
<
I believe your defense is a weak one. There is no reason that debugging
a program that has had it's symbols remapped should be any more
difficult that debugging a "normal" file. The post compiler just
generates a table that the debugger (assembly and/or symbolic) reads
and translates the symbols back and forth. It only adds one fairly
simple level of complexity to the debugger and solves all the problems
I've seen so far. I don't see any big deal in designing either the
post processor or in modifying the debuggers. The main question is
whether it's appropriate for the Standard to mandate the limit.

My personal preference is to set the internal and external identifier
limits to be identical so the poor slob that has to maintain the code
doesn't have to try to keep the two separate. The current standard
states that internal identifiers are significant to 31 chars, case
distinct, and I feel externals should follow the same rules.

						Joe Mueller
UUCP:	...!{ucbvax or decvax}!tektronix!tekecs!joemu
ARPA:	tekecs!joemu.tektronix @ udel-relay