6 char externs and the ANSI standard

Zonker T. Chuqui chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 08:34:49 AEST 1984

> Wait a minute.  First of all, doesn't VMS support 31-character names?
> But more important, no one would have to change ALL their software to
> meet a new standard.  They have lots of options: don't support it (or
> the "full" version); write a new linker that can be used with (probably
> only with) the C compiler; come up with funny hash/name-translation
> schemes, etc.

Ok, my apologies to DEC, I used a bad example-- I cut my teeth on RSTS way
back when and it shows... The example doesn't invalidate the problem,
though-- many manufactures have significant bases of software that would
have to be 'fixed' to support the standard. There are situations is
generating standards when a less than perfect LCD must be used because
making the standard 'right' would cause a number of people to have to
deviate from the standard or ignore it completely. I'd much rather be able
to write software to the standard that IS standard than write software to
the standard that is going to run into deviations from the standard and
break. Let manufacturers extend the standard, not restrict it.
--
>From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA

How about 'reason for living?'