Nested loops? gotos? ANSI standard?

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-tgr.ARPA
Thu Oct 18 05:52:54 AEST 1984

> The fact that it is a harmless goto doesn't mean that you cannot write
> harmful gotos.

You are not going to legislate correct code by removing GOTO.  I am trying
to avoid drastically changing the language to add redundant features.  If you
want to design such a language, come up with some other standard but don't
call it C.  Go back to the PASCAL and ADA users where you belong.  I still
see that break to the n-th power is just as harmful as goto.  Just look for
the label.  It's just as easy to hide a loop begin as a statement label.

> These problems (setjmp/longjmp or other anomalies) don't occur nearly as
> often as the "I need to break three loops at once"-kind.  At least not in
> normal everyday user-written code (as opposed to 'system-wizard hackeries').

Amen, but setjmp/longjmp is not C and shouldn't be in the spec.  This is
a machine dependant kludge.

-Ron