6 char externs and the ANSI standard

PAD Powell padpowell at wateng.UUCP
Sun Oct 14 21:51:43 AEST 1984

I don't think that having two different object code formats
(short name, long name) would be hard to handle.  For example,
I have done just that,   and wrote an entire loader, that was tested,
correct,  and so forth, in a month.  I will root around and see if I can
find the code, and post it too the net.  I think that supporting other
object code formats should be a piece of cake.  The big problems are
in speeding things up.  Symbol table searching, which is the biggest
impact on the different formats, was less than 10% of the source code,
and about 30% of the execution time.

Patrick Powell