Standardization questions (cpp mostly)

R.Thomas rbt at sftig.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 01:59:42 AEST 1984

>                                                 The current draft will
> state that predefined macros are implementation defined (They will
> exist BUT you will be provided with a list of them and what they are
> defined to be), and all conforming compilers MUST have some way of
> disabling all predefined macros. This way if your application does not
> want to use them, you may easily remove them without a never-ending,
> always changing list of #undef foobar's.

I hope that the standard will allow you to turn off all predefined
preprocessor variables, and give an exception list (that your program needs to
have).  Things like '__LINE__' and '__FILE__' are too good to loose (in
certain applications) just because the local C compiler defines 'stack' (in a
mistaken attempt to tell you that you are executing on a stack machine, or
something...)  I don't want to be forced to throw out the baby with the bath
water.

Rick Thomas