Fuel for your flames: Things I would like in CPP

Amit Green aug at cybvax0.UUCP
Mon Oct 8 06:59:09 AEST 1984

>Kevin Martin writes <9225 at watmath.UUCP>:
>	4) Given proper macros, it is now useful to have the ability to
>	   issue error messages, perhaps including a severity (warning --
>	   the compile can continue, error -- CPP can continue, but the compiler
>	   should not be called up, fatal -- force CPP to give up immediately).
>			#message 0 "Warning: NUM < 0"
>	   Maybe the quotes aren't needed...

I think this would be usefull.  Currently I have to use something like this:
	#ifndef BUFSIZ
	# include "? Whoops - BUFSIZ not defined"
	#endif

>joemu at tekecs writes <4092 at tekecs.UUCP>
>	Should benign (identical) redefinition of a macro be allowed?

I think this would be usefull; and harmless.  I often redefine routines
(in different include files of course):
	extern char *retstring () ;
	extern char *retstring () ;

If I sometimes changed retchar to a macro, I would want to be able to have
the following in both my include files also:
	#define retstring(s)	"s"