ANSI standard and cpp

Bruce Karsh karsh at geowhiz.UUCP
Mon Oct 8 23:51:05 AEST 1984

> From:      Jeff Hanes (VLD/VMB) <jeffh at BRL-VLD.ARPA>
> Are you asking for a vote?  If so, here's mine:
> 6 char externs:

I vote that I never be forced into six character variable names
again.  I had enough of that when I used to program in FORTRAN.
If manufacturers made the mistake of limiting their linkers to 6
character names, then it's their mistake and they'll just have
to do something about it.  Eventually they'll have to change
anyways.  Does anybody think 6 char names are adequate for the
future?

Suppose some manufacturers had a 2 character limit for external
names.  Would it make sense to define C with 2 character external
names?  (We'd really be compatible with Basic then (:-) ).

Lets leave stone age baggage like 6 char variable names behind us.

                    Bruce Karsh
                    UW Madison, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics