C on IBM main frames

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Oct 2 07:07:50 AEST 1984

Amdahl at last check does not sell the C compiler for use under the
conventional IBM OS's.  It only runs under UTS.  I tried to convince
the Amdahl salesman that a VM/CMS version would be rather popular and
he said he would relay my enthusiasm to their management.

RDS C is a piece of junk and does not work well enough to use.  I've
posted news on this before.

My IBM friends just got the Bell compiler which is supposed to be very
good but does not run under VM.  It runs under MVS.  There are some
helpful hints distributed with it on how to convert it to VM.  They
haven't worked on it yet.

-Ron