6 char externs and the ANSI standard

C. J. Sampson jeff at alberta.UUCP
Fri Oct 5 11:31:08 AEST 1984

I say NO!  I do not believe that a 6 character limit on external
variables would be good at all.  For programs to be truely "portable",
they have to run on the vast majority of machines with little or no
change.  If you are going to have to make changes, it is much easier
to do it with program that are well structured and have names like
"last_article_read" rather than "lstard".  If we are going to have a
good language, let's not limit it in a silly way like this.
C. J. Sampson	Snail Canada: #712 11135-83rd ave.	***DISCLAIMER***
ihnp4!alberta!jeff		Edmonton, Alberta	+--------------+
ubc-vision!alberta!jeff		CANADA  T6G 2C8		| These may    |
sask!alberta!jeff					| be opinions. |