C portability between non-UNIX operating systems.

Michael Mc Namara mac at tesla.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 13:21:19 AEST 1984

    After doing a lot of porting of a set of C programs I wrote (between
UNIX 4.2BSD on a Vax 11/780, a Data General MV 8000 running AOS/VS 4.03,
a Vax 11/750 running VMS and a HARRIS 800 running VOS) I can offer the
following wisdom:

    [1] don't rely on their library of routines; write your own.
(Use /usr/src/lib/libc as a guide, if you don't have license problems)

    [2] The biggest problem I have found is that they don't call
stdio.h stdio.h!!!!  On VMS, it is invoked with #include <std.h>
on the Harris, it is "STDIO.H" (caps necessary), et cetera

    [3] Vms requires everything be initialized if it is to be external.
     .
     .
     .
    [oo] again, I could go on, but D O N ' T   B E   C L E V E R  sort
of sums it up, so i qoute Martin Minow @ DEC.