ANSI C and the C Pre-Processor

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Oct 5 03:41:56 AEST 1984

> Article <>
> From: mwm at ea.UUCP

> /***** ea:net.lang.c / utzoo!henry /  4:20 am  Sep 25, 1984 */
> As for what should be done to bring back the lost functionality...  the
> ANSI C folks have basically said "if you want a general-purpose macro
> processor, use m4".  The programs that this "change" will break are
> broken already, and should be fixed to do it right.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry
> /* ---------- */
>
> Great. Another tool that's nearly vital for writing C, but not available
> on most (all) non-Unix systems. Anybody got pointers to a public domain
> m4?
>
> 	<mike

Anybody got pointers to a sane ANSI committee?  We just got a C compiler
on CSUOHIO.BITNET (VM/370) and I intend to port quite a few of my compatible
(i.e. not based on Unix peculiarities) programs.  If the ANSI committee
thinks I'm going to use m4 on Unix and lose ALL portability, they've another
think coming.

--bsa