AT&T 7300 C compiler

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Apr 14 10:33:07 AEST 1985

> > "System V:  consider it a moving target."
>
> Would you prefer that it NOT evolve?
> Oh, I forgot, there hasn't been anything worthwhile since 1978.

Well, not very much, anyway... :-)

More seriously, my original comment was motivated by amusement (and
some disgust) at AT&T simultaneously pushing System V as a "standard"
and continuing to change it in incompatible ways.  Clearly, what AT&T
really wants is that everyone should consider AT&T's *latest* offering
(whatever that happens to be at any given time) to be "the standard",
so that AT&T isn't hampered by having to conform to standards it doesn't
set, and everybody else is.  In this context, it obviously makes sense
for AT&T to (a) push "System V" (whatever it is this week) as "standard",
and (b) keep changing the standard.

"Standardize software:  buy it from AT&T."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology