C question

Goldilocks lspirkov at udenva.UUCP
Fri Apr 19 13:50:55 AEST 1985

In article <> kjm at ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) writes:
>[]
>
>From: lspirkov at udenva.UUCP (Goldilocks)
>>In article <> jack at boring.UUCP (Jack Jansen) writes:
>>>
>>>procedure p(var i:integer):integer;
>              ^^^
>>>begin
>>>    p := i;
>>>    i := i+1;
>>>end (* p *);
>>>

>>you obviously don't know your pascal!  a function returns
>>something.  a procedure doesn't.
>>
>>                                        Goldi
>
>The 'var' keyword has the effect that the value of 'i' is assigned
>to the corresponding actual parameter in the calling routine at the
>termination of the called routine.
>
>Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"

I wasn't talking about the var parameters.  i was talking
about his syntax.  try running that bit of code (with
a main program & the rest of the skeleton) and see what you
get...

					Goldi

ps:  what it should have been was:
function p(var i:integer):integer;
^^^^^^^^

pps:  i got mail from someone at harvard but i couldn't
	reply straight to him.  so this is just for him:
	you're right.  i don't know my modula-2.  i
	never claimed i did.  but he specifically said pascal.