C Indentation Survey Results (long...)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 10:23:57 AEST 1985

> ...[customizable pretty-printers solve a lot of the style problems]...
> Everybody is happy, as they can work on the code in their
> favorite format (or non-format, if that's the case), and all the
> organizational listing look alike. What more could you want?

A customizable pretty-printer that can read minds, so it can sort out
those formatting decisions that are determined by intent rather than
just by syntax.  To quote our locally-altered manual page for cb(1),
under BUGS:

	A paragrapher cannot judge the programmer's intent, and hence cannot
	do as good a job of displaying it as the programmer can.
	Paragraphers should be used to deal with emergencies, not as a
	substitute for doing it right the first time.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology