C question

Norman Diamond ndiamond at watdaisy.UUCP
Sat Apr 13 08:30:06 AEST 1985

> Regarding the question about x = x++ and a[i] = i++ and similarly
> ambiguous constructs:  Why the (*@#$%^*^ can't the compiler complain
> rather than flipping a coin?

The C compiler is perfectly capable of generating code for one of the
valid meanings.  (At least some compilers are.  Some are capable of
generating invalid code, but that's beside the point.)

> Programs with statements like these are
> WRONG, just as wrong as one with a missing brace.

True.  Is lint still occasionally maintained?  Will new tests be added
as their necessity becomes apparent?

--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy at waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."