Daylight Savings Time

Helmut Golde golde at uw-beaver
Mon Dec 2 09:40:55 AEST 1985

I am unclear as to why *any* application program would ever want to know
whether daylight savings time is in effect or not.  As long as the
localtime() function returns the current local time, why care whether
DST is in effect at all?  I understand that the operating system might need
to know if its real time clock is calibrated in GMT, but user programs
shouldn't need to know this information.

In any case, the most prudent route would be to have the DST flag have THREE
possible values:
   0	currently on standard time
   1	currently on daylight time
  -1	daylight status unknown