Lisp to C conversion

richw at ada-uts.UUCP richw at ada-uts.UUCP
Fri Dec 6 02:09:00 AEST 1985

"topaz!root"  says:
>> Indeed the most widespread Lisp system that I know of (Utah's Portable
>> Standard Lisp) does more optimization than the most widespread C

Can you be more specific about "more optimization"?
                                ----

"Optimize" is a horrible word for "code-size/execution-time reduction".

Did you ever consider that ALL programs which don't read any input
(e.g. a program to calculate the first 1000 digits of pi) would be,
theoretically, totally consumed by true "optimizing" compilers?

That is, you tell the compiler to optimize your pi-calculating program
and it spews out "3.14159..."

-- Rich Wagner