ANSI C. (Really Daylight Savings Time)

Howard Johnson howard at cyb-eng.UUCP
Thu Dec 5 06:48:24 AEST 1985

> As I read it in the Post yesterday, the proposal is to make the polling
> places close at 7:00 EST, 8:00 CST, and extend Daylight Savings Time for the
> West Coast two more weeks till election day!
>
> The idea of changing the DST algorithm for a) West Coast sites only, and
> b) only in an election year doesn't really turn me on AT ALL...  I think this
> is a powerful argument for hiding the kluges in either a library routine or
> the system.  Somewhere it can be setup when the system is configured, and not
> have to be replicated in hundreds of programs.  If it is in the system, one
> would not have to rebuild programs sent from elsewhere, while if it is in the
> library one would at least have to re-link-edit.

I can just see localtime() scanning a file (perhaps /etc/dst) to figure out
whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect.

This is yet another application crying out for some kind of dynamic
link editor.  (Hmmm, sounds like this could be cross-posted to net.os...)
--
..!{seismo,topaz,mordor,harvard,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!howard
(ordered best to worst); also ..!ut-ngp!cyb-eng!howard  +1 512 835-2266