Lisp to C conversion

zben at umd5.UUCP zben at umd5.UUCP
Tue Dec 17 02:48:13 AEST 1985

In article <628 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <10200028 at ada-uts.UUCP>, richw at ada-uts.UUCP writes:
>>That is, you tell the compiler to optimize your pi-calculating program
>>and it spews out "3.14159..."
>That would be a marvel of "artificial intelligence" -- an optimizer that
>can recognize algorithms.  Imagine--it would replace your bubble sorts
>with Shell sorts (or better) ...

If you were writing in Cobol, you would just say "sort", and the compiler
would probably automagically include in a 90K word (thats 360K byte) vendor-
supplied polyphase sort merge that automagically goes to N magnetic tape
drives when the number of records goes above 10 million.... :-)

Don't laugh - my dinosaur actually does this.  Now if it only had a
C compiler... (sigh)
--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben at umd2.umd.edu
                          ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben